Wednesday 31 December 2008

Project Methodology


I found this old picture in a folder on my desktop and it made me chuckle, its a classic and often used by digital professionals to talk to people, clients and colleagues to explain why project methodology is important and why documentation and boring things like technical and functional specification documents take time to produce and should be read.

Far too often in my career too much has been left open to interpretation and this often results in projects running a bit like this cartoon.

I hope I am not alone in struggling with process, we are always reviewing ours and evolving it but the irony being most agencies process is run on a basis the 3 stage process of KBS - Kick, Bollocks, Scramble - chuck as much resource at it as we need to get it done usually in the last two weeks of a project.

Too much process stiffle's creativity and leads to agencies thinking they can't do a website for less than £500k, not enough leads to a £20k website costing the agency £500k - its a conundrum that can only be solved by a good client:agency relationship run on trust not fear.

No comments: