Monday 19 January 2009

I know how to fold a T-shirt in less than 2 secs - so how come I never do?

What the hell am I going on about now? Well its probably a bad example but I've been struggling with the question of changing consumer behavior and how mass awareness can and cannot affect it.

I, like about well over 10,000,000+ other people have seen the following video online several times:



There are over a 100 different versions of it and people have made tutorials etc BUT despite its relative success in terms of views NO ONE I KNOW FOLDS THEIR T-SHIRTS THIS WAY? Why not, its more efficient, has a certain fun factor to it and looks pretty cool.

Here is where I struggle with the Awareness:Change of Behavior dynamic. I watched the video and I said that is good, it's a better way of doing it than i already do and despite that I still fold T-shirts badly in a conventional haphazard manner if I bother to fold them at all. So creating awareness is possible but changing an ingrained behavior is so much harder even when its right, or has a benefit to me. Maybe we need to concentrate more in the ultimate benefit and not just on the process to effect change?

Anyway, I'm interested in changing behavior through interaction online. If I work out how to do this more often I think it will be a good thing.

No comments: