Monday 20 July 2009

Using Online Advertising for a MGM scheme

This ad intrigued me. Not anything about the creative execution but more the fact that O2 are using online network buys to advertise a specific offer to their existing customers.

Clearly, as I am not an O2 customer I do not remeber ordering any additional O2 PAYG Sim cards!



Ultimately, my first impression was that this must not be the best way to communicate with your existing audience and there will be considerable wastage. My next thought was there can't be any real targetting on IP or behaviour as I've seen it 3 times and I'm not a customer.

So I am left feeling a little bit bemused but intrigued. either there are so many customers of O2 online that they feel the wastage aside its still cost effective to talk exclusively to customers through the medium of display advertising or they are trying an experiment to see what happens as an acquisition tool. Or they bought it all on a CPA deal?

Interested to know but I can only speculate.

No comments: